One of my favorite memories from our honeymoon is hiking the “Sentiero degli Dei,” Path of the Gods, from Praiano to Positano. Not only was it challenging (so many stairs!) but stunningly gorgeous. You quickly realize why it is called the “Path of the Gods” because you feel as if you are in the heavens. If you are wanting to get some exercise (which I am sure you do after indulging in all of the beautiful pasta and gelato) or you just simply want to have an incredible experience with vistas that will take your breath away, there is no better activity when visiting the Amalfi Coast than hiking this clifftop trail.
Here are some tips for planning your visit and hike:
- There are many different ways to hike the Path of the Gods, no wrong way, but I do recommend hiking from Praiano to Positano so you can experience the hike both up and down stairs to and from the trail. This also allows you to enjoy the views as you hike into Positano.
- The trail is easy to follow and you don’t need a guide but if you would prefer to have a guide, there are plenty of companies that specialize in this – I recommend Viator.
- The main section of the hike is approximately 4 miles between Bomerano and Nocelle. There is not a huge change in elevation between these two towns so if you are wanting an easier experience, this would be my recommendation for you versus starting in Praiano.
- As I mentioned, the hike becomes more difficult if you start at the coastal town of Praiano. We did this route which is why I called the hike challenging. 😉 We missed the bus from Positano to Praiano (too much wine the night before) so instead, we hired a car to drive us directly to the base of the stairs. This is a steep climb up 1900 steps to the trail which makes the hike much more strenuous, especially if it’s hot.
- We sprinted up the stairs and it took us about 30 minutes (not sure I recommend doing this, ha) but the stairs normally take between 45 minutes to 2 hours depending on your fitness level.
- Expect the total hike from Praiano to Nocelle to take between 2 to 3.5 hours. Once you arrive in Nocelle, you can take the bus back to Positano or continue on by taking the stairs down, 1,700 to be exact. We took the stairs and walked into Positano. Although it was really tough on our knees and joints, we are so glad we did. It was a fun way to end the hike and we created great memories.
- Leave early! To avoid mid-day sun and to beat the crowds, try to leave by 8am at the latest. We left closer to 10:30am and the sun was pretty warm towards by the time we got back into Positano late afternoon.
- Wear comfortable clothes and shoes. Bring water (more than one bottle!). You will need it, promise! And also consider packing some snacks or a picnic lunch if you plan to make a day of it. Load on the sunscreen!